Monday, July 28, 2008

Teaching Question and Answer Forum

Click on "Post a Comment" below to ask a question or offer an answer.  Don't be shy; we learn from each other!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do I redirect a child who loves to talk and talk about their favorite cartoon or video game? On the other side, how do I involve a shy child? If they refuse to answer questions, should I just leave them alone?

Anonymous said...

If they are interrupting another child, I'll ask them to let the other child have a turn. If they are just going on and on, I'll usually skip to a less boring part of the lesson.

oh7member said...

Sometimes this helps direct kids who go on and on, but off the topic: ask, "Do you have an answer to the question I asked?" or, "Are you raising your hand to say something about our Primary lesson?" If the answer is, "no," then you could say something like, "Oh, I'd really like to hear about that after Primary." You may have to interrupt and gently insist on after Primary. And then, of course, you have to stay and listen to the comments after class.

About shy people: Maybe always include them and ask them questions, but don't insist on their participation. When they're comfortable, they'll join in. Sometimes, too, it's hard to tell the difference between shy and something more serious, so including without forcing seems safest.